Is it just me, or do foods taste better when they’re wrapped?
Spring rolls, sushi, tacos…maybe it’s because the wrapping gives you all the goods in a single bite or maybe it’s the messiness factor that for some reason, also makes foods that much more flavourful.
In any case, I’ve been on a serious wrapping streak lately and thought it would be fun to share one of my favourite summer recipes in today’s video.
Watch as I prepare and assemble black bean lettuce tacos, a fresh and satisfying treat for beating the summer heat.
Black bean lettuce tacos
For the filling:
- 2 cups cooked or canned black turtle beans
- 1 small red onion, sliced and caramelized
- 1 cup cooked corn
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped finely
- 1 plum tomato, diced
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Coarse salt and pepper, to taste
- Boston (Bibb) lettuce, leaves washed and patted dry
- Sliced avocado
- Pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- Cheddar cheese, grated
- In a large bowl, combine the beans, onion, corn, jalapeno, tomato, cilantro and toss.
- In a small bowl, combine the lime juice, zest, olive oil and cumin and pour over the bean mixture. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- For the station, set the bean mixture, the lettuce cups and other toppings in a row. Set serving spoons and enjoy!