I was planning some snacks for a road trip Cosimo are taking at the end of the week when I got a hankering for the cocoa cherry bars I demoed in my meal prep tutorial a while back. That’s when I realized I had never given this recipe its own stand-alone page, which it very well deserves.
Similar in texture to energy bites or truffles, this no-bake energy bar comes together even faster as it requires no messy ball-rolling. Simply make the mixture, press into a rectangle and freeze for 10-15 minutes.
The only downside? I made these on Tuesday for a trip we are taking Friday. Let’s hope they make it there…
- 1 cup pitted dates (if dates are very dry, soak in warm water 5 minutes)
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 3/4 cups walnuts
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao.
- 2 tablespoons cocoa nibs
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut (plus 1 tablespoon for topping)
- In a food processor fitted with a steel blade, pulse the walnuts until coarsely chopped. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the dates and dried cherries to the food processor and blend until reduced to a coarse paste.
- Add the walnuts, cocoa powder, cocoa nibs and shredded coconut. Pulse until combined.
- Transfer mixture onto a piece of plastic wrap and form into a log. Using the wrap, flatten and shape the log into an 8x3 inch rectangle (20cm x 7cm). Sprinkle the top of the log with shredded coconut and pat it into the log so it sticks. Wrap and freeze 10-15 minutes before cutting into bars.
- Store airtight in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.