If there’s any consolation for the summer coming to an end, it’s got to be the peaches. They’re so perfectly sweet and succulent that they’ve got me feeling, well…peachy. So today’s seasonal spotlight is all about celebrating this stone-fruit, with a few fun facts and some great recipes to boot: Maple peach compote and a white bean, peach and goat cheese salad.
7 peach Facts
1) Peaches are a climacteric fruit, which means that they continue to ripen after being picked from the tree.
2) To ripen your peach, just let it sit at room temperature. Once ripened, store in the refrigerator. Not before.
3) Peaches are ranked #4 on the EWG’s Dirty Dozen list due to their pesticide residue content. So choose organic when possible.
4) The secret to peeling peaches: Dip them in boiling water for 45 to 60 seconds and then cool in an ice bath. Then, simply rub-off the peel with your hands.
5) At less than 70 calories, 1 large peach provides 3g fiber and a good dose of vitamin C, beta-carotene and potassium
6) The antioxidant capacity of the peach is linked to its phytochemical content, so the combined work of carotenoids, anthocyanins and other phenolic compounds.
7) The carotenoid content is highest in yellow-flesh peaches whereas anthocyanin content is highest in dark red skinned peaches.
So just in case these facts haven’t yet gotten you pumped about peaches, you should give these recipes a go!
Maple peach compote and ricotta toast
Prep time: 5 minutes Cook time: 10 minutes Yield: 1 cup1/4
- 2 medium peaches, peeled and chopped (approx. 2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat. Let simmer 8-10 minutes, slightly covered, stirring occasionally.
- When the peaches are very tender but still hold their shape, remove from the heat and enjoy.
How to enjoy the maple peach compote
My personal favourite as seen above : Spread the compote over a slice of sunflower seed toast and fresh ricotta ricotta cheese (this makes a killer breakfast)
Dollop the peach compote over pancakes
Enjoy as a snack along with plain yogurt, topped with slivered almonds.
Arugula salad with white beans, peaches and goat cheese
Prep time: 10 minutes Servings: 2
For the salad
- 5 oz baby arugula, washed
- 11/2 cups white beans (such as cannellini)
- 1 peach, sliced thinly
- Red onion, sliced very thinly (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons goat cheese, crumbled
For the dressing
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine arugula, beans, sliced peach, red onion and fresh oregano.
2. In a separate small bowl, slowly whisk olive oil into vinegar to emulsify. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Drizzle a few tablespoons of the dressing over the salad and toss gently. Sprinkle with goat cheese and serve!
What’s your favourite way to enjoy peaches? Are you saddened by the end of summer?