Happy New Year! Are you bursting at the seams with vision and good intention for the New Year? Ready to bring this year’s blank canvas to life? Craving wins and success in all your 2016 plans?
Good! Now let’s fuel that.
This year, when it comes to your food, fitness and nutrition, I want you to focus on keeping it simple. Because if it’s simple, you’ll stick to it and if you stick to it, that vision will come true.
Keep your nutrition simple with the fullness formula, building food sources of carbohydrate + protein + fat + colour in every meal.
Keep it simple with your meals by focusing on whole food recipes and single ingredients, rather than boxed items with long lists of ingredients.
To illustrate this concept, behold the epitome of nutritional balance and simplicity: the egg and avocado toast. A Motive Nutrition favourite.
Why poached egg and avocado toast?
- It represents the perfect combo of simple ingredients and balanced nutrition delivering egg (protein), avocado (fat) & toast (carbohydrate).
- It comes together with a handful of inexpensive and easy-to-find ingredients: egg. avocado. toast.
- It can serve as breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- It’s absolutely delicious.
My recommendation? Keep the ingredients for this recipe forever on hand, making this your emergency meal for the year. No more late night takeout or cereal for supper….because you’re keeping it simple this year.
To your success!
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 slice whole grain bread, toasted
- 1/2 small avocado
- 1 tablespoon chopped flatleaf Italian parsley
- Sea salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- In a shallow pan, gently heat about 3 inches of water over medium heat and add the vinegar.
- Crack your egg into a small bowl or ramekin.
- When the water comes up to just under a simmer, swirl a spoon in the pan to create a whirlpool and gently drop the egg into the center of it. Set the timer for 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, you can use a slotted spoon to gently help form the egg back together, by folding the egg white back onto itself. You can also begin toasting your bread.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the egg from the water and place on a double-layer of paper towels. Make sure all excess water is absorbed.
- Spread the avocado on the piece of whole-grain toast, sprinkle the avocado with salt and pepper. Then top with the egg, seasoning again with salt, pepper and parsley. Enjoy on its own or with a tomato salad.