When I decided to make this recipe I figured “what better meal to soothe the soul on a cold winter’s day than chili?”. Yet, I’m writing this on a day that feels more like spring than our typical cold-to-your-bones Montreal winter day. But hey, this girl isn’t complaining. You certainly don’t need an excuse to enjoy this slow-cooker chipotle chicken chili.
The chipotle peppers in adobo sauce lend smokiness and spiciness to the dish that marry well with the sweet potatoes and hearty chicken. If you’re uncertain which chipotle peppers to use, I used La Costena brand pictured below in adobo sauce, that you can find in most grocery stores.
Top things off with shredded cheese and a dollop of greek yogurt for creaminess and you’ve got yourself a heavenly, healthy bowl of chili. The best part? This slow-cooker version practically makes itself. Simply layer-in all the ingredients, set the timer and let the magic happen. I like to use the slow-cooker during my weekly meal prep since it requires no hands-on time and it allows me to make an extra meal without spending extra time in the kitchen. In fact, if you give this recipe a try during Sunday’s meal prep session you can enjoy a hot bowl of chili just in time for the big game.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast (1 pound)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 vidalia onion, chopped
- 1.5 tablespoons ancho chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- Toppings: full-fat greek yogurt, cheddar cheese, jalapeno slices, cilantro
- Add the chicken in an even layer in the bottom of the slow-cooker and add the garlic, onion, spices, chipotle peppers, diced tomatoes, broth, sweet potatoes and salt.
- Cook on low for 7 hours.
- Using two forks, shred the chicken evenly and stir to combine. Serve and garnish with your favourite toppings.
- Want beans? You can substitute 1 sweet potato for one 14oz can of red kidney beans, rinsed.