You know that vegetables should take centre stage at all of your meals but this can be hard if you’re in a veggie rut. So if you’re currently in search of ways to dress up those vegetable sides, here is a simple recipe to get you back on track.
These zucchini boats with parmesan are whimsical enough for your children, and dressy enough to earn a spot at your next dinner party. So scroll down for the recipe and enjoy.
STUFFED ZUCCHINI BOATS WITH PARMESAN
Serves 4 Prep time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 4 small zucchini
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup diced tomatoes, canned or fresh
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 leaves fresh basil, sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmigiano reggiano cheese
- Bring a medium sized pot of water to a boil. Add zucchini, cook for 5 minutes or until fork tender. Drain.
- With a melon baller or small spoon, carve the zucchini on all of its length and gather the zucchini flesh in a separate bowl.
- Set the hollowed-out zucchini on a rimmed sheet pan lined with foil and set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan, heat the olive oil and garlic, stirring until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the zucchini flesh, diced tomatoes, salt and let simmer for 5 minutes. Add the basil and remove from the heat.
- Set the oven to broil and place rack in the top part of the oven.
- Separate the filling evenly into each zucchini and top with the grated cheese.
- Place the zucchini under the broiler for 2 minutes or until slightly golden.
- Serve and enjoy.
*Are you planning ahead? You can follow steps 1 through 6, top with the grated cheese and set in the fridge. Simply place under the broiler moments before serving.
The facts: Calories 115 Total fat: 8g Carbohydrates: 7g Sodium: 290mg Protein: 4g Fiber: 2g