Nachos are a classic game day food that everyone loves, including me. This twist on the classic is made with baked sweet potato chips and loaded with spicy and savoury toppings guaranteed to make it a touchdown at your Superbowl party. As a healthy bonus, olives, black beans and corn pack this recipe with fiber, protein and friendly fats for a tasty dish you can feel good about eating all year long.
- 1 medium sweet potato, about 300 g
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup of corn
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced kalamata olives
- Fresh cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit, place the rack in the center of the oven and line 2 large bakings sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a mandolin on the thinnest setting, slice the sweet potato into even disks.
- Place the slices evenly on the two baking sheets, brush lightly with olive oil and season with salt. Bake one sheet at a time for 10 to 12 minutes, watching the chips carefully so they do not burn. They will be ready when they are dry and the edges start to curl. Remove from the oven and repeat with second sheet.
- For the salsa: In a small bowl, combine the jalapeño pepper, onion and cherry tomatoes with 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Season with salt and set aside.
- For the black beans: In a small bowl, mix black beans, garlic, cumin and lime juice, mashing the beans slightly. Season with salt and set aside.
- Place the chips in a uniform layer on a baking sheet. Garnish with the cherry tomato salsa and follow with black beans, corn, olives and grated cheese.
- Bake 5 to 7 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve with additional jalapeno slices to taste.
- I strongly recommend using a mandolin to ensure uniform thickness and cooking for the sweet potato chips.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do and remember, if you prepare these nachos, share your picture with me using the hashtag #MotiveNutrition.
Happy Superbowl everyone!
Nutrition facts per serving
Calories: 218 Carbs: 28g Fiber: 5g Protein: 10g Fat: 8g