They may call it taco Tuesday but as far as I’m concerned, it should be taco day every day. Which is I’m thrilled about today’s recipe for veggie-loaded turkey tacos, for week 7 of our meal prep challenge.
These tacos are a true fiesta for the tastebuds and pack a nutritional punch, too: the protein-rich filling is loaded shredded vegetables, topped with creamy avocado and all wrapped-up in a crisp leaf of lettuce.
Plus, this recipe can be entirely prepare ahead of time and assembled during the week for a seamless weeknight dinner. So be sure not to miss it on Sunday’s menu as part of your #mealprepchallenge.
Veggie-loaded turkey tacos
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil
- 1 diced onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons chili oil
- 1 cup tomato purée
- 2 grated carrots (about 1 cup)
- 1 zucchini, grated and excess liquid drained
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
To build your tacos:
- Tortillas or Iceberg lettuce, leaves torn off
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sliced avocado
- Plain greek yogurt
1. In a skillet over medium heat, cook the turkey until browned. Transfer to a plate.
2. Heat the avocado oil over medium heat and add onion, jalapeno, cumin, chili powder and sauté 3 minutes.
3. Add the tomato purée, carrots, grated zucchini, turkey and salt and simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Serve immediately with your favourite toppings or store up to 4 days in the refrigerator.