How it works
• Mix and Match Prep: The format chosen for this meal prep challenge is a mix and match style prep. This means preparing starches, proteins and veggies separately, for versatile, mix and matching during the week.
• Get organized: You can download your meal prep planner here
• Get familiar: Below is your meal prep list for the week. Prep 1 or more of the suggested foods in each category: 1 x starch, 1 x protein, 1 x veggie and 1 x snack.
• Be flexible: Feel free to make more or less depending on your needs for the week. Remember: there is no right or wrong way to prep! You need to find what works for you.
•Post your prep pictures! This is how we keep you accountable! Always post your prep picture using #MotiveMealPrep #MealPrepChallenge and tag me @motivenutrition on Instagram, on Twitter or Facebook!
Week 6 video
- Brown rice
- Sweet potato (use to prepare this week’s feature recipe)
- Baked salmon (use to prepare this week’s feature recipe)
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Prep kale for salads and smoothies
- Steamed greens
- Fig and walnut energy sandwiches
- Chopped carrots
Week 6 Recipes
Salmon Sweet Potato Cakes
Makes 5 servings
For the salmon cakes
- 1 large sweet potato (3/4 pound)
- 13 ounces cooked wild salmon *(or use 1 pound fresh)
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
For the yogurt sauce
- 1/2 cup plain 2% fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- If cooking fish from fresh: Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place the salmon on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Season with salt and freshly cracked pepper. Cook for 12-15 minutes or until opaque and the salmon flesh easily flakes off with a fork. Let cool.
- Peel the sweet potato, chop into equal-sized pieces and steam until very tender, about 10 minutes. Place in a medium sized bowl and let cool.
- With the back of a fork, mash the sweet potato. Add the cooled salmon, flaking the flesh into the potato until combined.
- Add the mustard powder, chives, dill, egg and salt. Mix well.
- Place a few tablespoons of flour in a bowl and prepare a clean plate or tray. Divide the salmon-potato mixture in 10.
- With your hands, form 3/4-inch thick cakes. Drop each cake into the flour bowl, dusting both sides with flour and tapping off any excess. Lay the cakes flat on a tray. Makes about 10 small cakes. Refrigerate 10-15 minutes. (** If freezing salmon cakes: place your tray in the freezer until the cakes are frozen. Then, wrap each cake in plastic wrap and store in a container in the freezer for up to 2 months. Simply defrost and resume cooking process from this point.)
- . Prepare a plate layered with paper towels. In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of oil on medium-high heat. Once hot, lay the cakes in the pan in batches, cooking for about 3 minutes on each side, until golden brown and transfer to paper-lined plate.
- For the dressing, whisk together the ingredients in a small bowl. Serve a dollop with the salmon cakes and enjoy.
- Alternate freezing method: These cakes also freeze well after they’ve been cooked, although you will lose the crispness. Simply defrost and reheat in a hot skillet or oven and serve.
- 1.Place one or more eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil.
- 2.As soon as it boils, remove from the stove, cover with a lid and let stand for 12 minutes.
- 3.Immediately rinse under cold running water. Peel and enjoy right away or store in a container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Fig and walnut energy sandwiches
- 10 dried figs
- 1/4 cup of walnut halves
- 1/2 orange zested
1. Slice figs open, stuff with walnut and orange zest. Enjoy!
Kale and mango green smoothie recipe
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 banana
- 2 handfuls of kale leaves (approximately 2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 1 1/2 cups mango
- You can also use greek yogurt, 1/3 cup or until desired consistency
1. Place ingredients into a blender.
2. Blend until smooth and enjoy.