How it works
• Mix and Match Prep: The format chosen for this meal prep challenge is a mix and match style prep. This means preparing starches, proteins and veggies separately, for versatile, mix and matching during the week.
• Get organized: You can download your meal prep planner here
• Get familiar: Below is your meal prep list for the week. Prep 1 or more of the suggested foods in each category: 1 x starch, 1 x protein, 1 x veggie and 1 x snack.
• Be flexible: Feel free to make more or less depending on your needs for the week. Remember: there is no right or wrong way to prep! You need to find what works for you.
•Post your prep pictures! This is how we keep you accountable! Always post your prep picture using #MotiveMealPrep #MealPrepChallenge and tag me @motivenutrition on Instagram, on Twitter or Facebook!
Week 4 video
Week 4 Prep list
- Butternut squash soup
- Apple Bircher
- Feature recipe: Spinach turkey burgers
- Baked chicken
- Roasted beets Use to prepare our favourite beet & apple salad
- Steamed green beans
- HB eggs
- Chopped fruit
Week 4 recipes
Best Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 vidalia onions, sliced
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne
- 1 large butternut squash, diced (2.5 lbs)
- 6 cups water or vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- Heat the olive oil on medium low heat and add the onions. Let cook with lid slightly covered until they’re soft and slightly caramelized, about 15 minutes stirring every few minutes.
- Once the onions have cooked down, add the cayenne, the squash, water, salt, bay leaf and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and cook until the squash is very tender, about 20 minutes. Add the maple syrup.
- Remove the bay leaf and ladle the soup into a blender in small batches and puree until silky smooth.
- Return to the pot to warm through and serve.
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 large red apple, grated with the peel
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (2% m.f)
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Place all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix to combine.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or, if you prefer a more portable breakfast option, divide the bircher among individual jars and allow to rest overnight.
- The following morning, top with grated apple or fresh blueberries if desired and enjoy chilled.
Spinach turkey burgers (Recipe here)
Baked chicken breast
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1.Preheat the oven to 425°F placing the rack in the middle of the oven.
- 2. Rub the chicken breasts with the olive oil, garlic, and thyme. Sprinkle both sides of the chicken evenly with salt and pepper.
- 3. Transfer the chicken to a baking dish, along with the herbs and garlic cloves.
- 4. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until juices run clear and an instant-read thermometer reads 160-170 degrees F.
- 5. Rest 5-10 minutes before slicing or shredding.
1 pound beets, ends trimmed
How to: Preheat the oven to 400 °F. Place beets on a sheet of aluminum foil, drizzle with olive oil and with 1 – 2 tablespoons of water. Form a very tight package and place in the oven for 50 minutes to an hour or until the beets are fork tender. Let cool to room temperature and simply rub the skin of with your fingers. (A wedge of lemon comes in handy afterwards to remove the pink stain from your fingers)
Use roasted beets in this delicious beet and apple salad during the week
Steamed green beans
1 pound green beans, trimmed
- Steam the green beans in a steamer basket for 7-9 minutes.
- Store green beans in the refrigerator up to 4 days and reheat by placing in a saute pan with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.
- 1.Place one or more eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil.
- 2.As soon as it boils, remove from the stove, cover with a lid and let stand for 12 minutes.
- 3.Immediately rinse under cold running water. Peel and enjoy right away or store in a container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.