I’ve eaten cauliflower fritters for as long as I can remember. In minutes, my grand-mother would transform this humble vegetable into the most delicious, golden bite of food you’d ever tasted. Now, I took the liberty of adjusting the recipe (by going from fritter to cake for starters) but I kept all the flavours I grew to love, including salty Pecorino Romano cheese and fresh flatleaf Italian parsley. Since only a handful of ingredients are needed to put these together, I strongly recommend getting your hands on the best you can find before making these at home.
If you’re looking for a fun way to eat cauliflower, these cakes are the way to go.
If you’re looking for a healthy and tasty snack for guests, cauliflower cakes.
If you’re looking for a way to add veggies to your weekend brunch, make a benedict with, you guessed it, cauliflower cakes.
In essence, these can do no wrong. On that note, please be sure to tag @motivenutrition when you make these at home. I look forward to seeing what you come up with!
- 1 cauliflower, about 1 pound, cut into florets
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup spelt flour
- 1/2 grated Pecorino romano cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped Italian flatleaf parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2-3 tablespoons avocado oil
- Prepare a saucepan of boiling salted water. Add cauliflower florets and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from the water and place in a bowl.
- Using a potato masher, roughly smash the florets keeping some texture.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk the eggs, flour, cheese, parsley, garlic and salt. Add the cauliflower and mix thoroughly until well combined.
- Heat one tablespoon of oil in a skillet over high heat. Working in batches, dollop batter into the pan, forming small, 2-inch cakes. Cook until nicely browned, about 2 minutes per side. Add a fresh tablespoon of oil for every batch.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy on their own or paired with your favourite tomato sauce.
Want more cauliflower powered recipes? Try these:
- Roasted cauliflower soup
- Whole roasted cauliflower
- Cauliflower frittata pizza
- Cauliflower rice burrito bowl