For today’s motivating message, I was actually inspired by a quote I heard on reality show Bethenny Ever After (no judgement please):
A true test of character isn’t how you are on your best days but how you act on your worst days.
I agree. Taking someone out of their comfort zone can reveal a lot about their character. Having a bad day is extremely subjective; it can mean spilling your coffee, your computer crashed or you’ve lost your job. But what’s telling is how you would handle each of these situations. Would you lose patience or keep your cool? Would you focus on the problem or put your efforts towards finding a solution?
I think this can also apply to anyone pursuing a lifestyle change:
A true test of your willingness to change is how well you adapt when things don’t go as planned.
In an ideal world, everything would always go as planned. Our routines would be perfectly predictable and we’d adhere to our regimens without skipping a beat. But let’s be honest. Stuff happens:
- You’re on work overload and haven’t filled up on groceries in over a week
- Your week is booked with social events and have restaurant dinners every single night
- You’re stuck in traffic and won’t make it to your kickboxing class
- You sleep in and miss your morning run
- You forget your lunch at home and are stranded at the cafeteria
- You’ve been running errands for hours, are starving and have wound up in a food court
- It’s wedding season, the holiday season or birthday month
- You’ve spilled your coffee on your computer and have lost your job (ok, now that’s a bad day)
What would a bad day be like for you? Do you try to stick to your habits when things don’t go as planned?