Since the beginning of the month, we’ve been in the of back-to-school spirit (or should I say back-to-business spirit), and so the topic of lunch packing was inevitable. It’s no secret that brown-bagging your lunch is one of the single best things you can do to take control of your health. A well packed lunch provides you with portion controlled, nourishing foods while avoiding restaurant meals and vending machine runs. Not to mention that packing a lunch can do good for your budget and for the planet, too. But despite the obvious perks of packing a homemade lunch, clients often report a drop in motivation and inspiration once the back-to-school rush subsides.
I did some thinking and am excited to announce that today’s post will be the first in a new series called In My Lunch Bag, where I’ll provide you with the lunch-bag must-haves of some fellow health and food bloggers that I myself turn to, for inspiration. I thought this would be a fun way to get introduced to some new foods, fabulous bloggers all the while keeping you motivated about packing nourishing lunches, everyday.
So to get things started, here are some of my lunch-bag basics:
1. The hardware:: Built lunch bag Just say no to plastic bags. Investing in a reusable lunch bag is a must. Look for one that is easy to wash and insulated, unless you have access to a fridge in the workplace. If you’re looking for something more fashion-forward, get a load of these designer totes.
2. Reusables:: Lunchbots divided containers These stainless steel containers are great for adults and kids alike. In trying to challenge myself to pack litter-free lunches, reusable containers and accessories like these are a sound investment. It’s a simple challenge with a huge impact and I encourage you to do the same!
3. Hydration:: Lululemon Pure Balance glass water bottle I’m an admitted reusable water bottle collector, but this is my current favorite. Having such a bright-colored water bottle keeps me motivated to drink and I particularly enjoy the mantras posted alongside this one.
4. Bulk foods:: Pepitas I try to avoid individually packaged foods as much as I can. It might require an extra minute to pack and portion these foods, but it’s well worth it. Bulk foods like nuts, seeds and dried fruit also have the advantage of being easy, nutritionally-rich lunch bag add-ins. Right now I’m enjoying pepitas, (pumpkin seeds) for some seasonal crunch.
5. Hunger-curbing protein:: Hard cooked eggs are a great make-ahead food. I’ll usually enjoy them with a salad or as an afternoon snack with rye crackers.
6. Healthy fats:: Avocado I enjoy my daily dose of avocado either in a sandwich in place of mayo, as guacamole with some fresh veggies or simply sliced with some crackers.
7. Snack-of-the-moment:: Kale chips with pecorino and black pepper Crunchy, salty & savoury. What’s not to love?
8. Extras:: Mighty leaf tea bags There’s no better comfort than having your favorite tea wherever you are. Grab an office mug and enjoy from your desk or stop into a coffee shop for a hot water fill and enjoy on the go.
I’m curious, what’s in your lunch bag today?