Whenever I make vegetables, I challenge myself with a game: make them so good that they’ll want seconds. So when my carnivore husband asked for not seconds, but thirds of this broccoli rice, I knew I had scored high points.
This recipe comes together quickly for a simple but delicious side, as the base for a stir-fry or my favourite bowl meal, the broccoli rice and egg bowl. Simply layer the broccoli rice with a fried egg and parmesan shavings for the perfect meal. A meal which, to date, I’ve had for breakfast, lunch and dinner. So, yes, an all-around winner.
EASY BROCCOLI RICE
- 1 head broccoli, chopped into small florets
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 vidalia onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper (8 turns)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- In a food processor fitted with a steel blade, work in batches so as not to overcrowd the machine and pulse the broccoli until it resembles rice, about 5-10 pulses. Measure 3 cups rice.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, saute the onion, garlic and chili flakes 5 minutes, stirring every minute.
- Add the broccoli rice, salt and pepper and saute another 5 minutes.
- Finally, add the parmesan, stir to combine and remove from the heat.
- Enjoy on its own, as a side dish or top with a fried egg and some additional parmesan shavings.