In today’s recipe video, I’m preparing peanut butter & banana bars. Since most ingredients for this recipe are inspired by some of my breakfast staples (peanut butter, oatmeal, banana, dried fruit) these bars would also make a good on-the-go breakfast option…and a far more satiating alternative to the coffee house muffin.
Note that the add-ins in this recipe can easily be replaced by your favorites; Sultana raisins, dark chocolate chips or walnuts all work very well. Have fun in the kitchen and enjoy.
Peanut butter and banana bars
1 cup quick oats
1/2 cup spelt flour (or other whole grain flour)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup chopped dates (4 medium-sized dates)
3 squares dark chocolate, chopped into pieces or 3 tablespoons dark chocolate chips or dried raisins
1/4 cup honey
1 banana, peeled
1/3 cup all natural peanut butter
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease an 8X8inch baking pan with coconut oil or unsalted butter. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients. Making sure to properly incorporate the dates and chocolate throughout the mixture using your fingers.
3. In a food processor fitted with a steel blade, combine the honey, banana, peanut butter and cinnamon. Process until smooth.
4. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry and stir to combine.
5. Press the mixture into the pan using your hands, you may wet them to prevent sticking. Then, using a piece of parchment paper, press down with your fist to even-out the surface.
6. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Let cool completely in the pan before slicing into squares. Store in an airtight container or keep in the freezer.