My love for avocado runs deep. I turn to this powerful fruit at most meals for a dose of satisfying fats, fibre and most importantly, buttery goodness. As nourishing and natural a pairing avocado and toast may be, it does lack a key component I look for at meals – protein.
Including a palm-size serving of protein-rich foods in every meal helps boost your intake of protein, providing satiety and building blocks needed to accomplish everything from helping your recover from your morning workout to help with cell turnover.
So how can you boost the protein content of your avocado toast? You can try a simple sprinkle of hemp seed, try my poached egg over avocado toast or give today’s recipe a go, as a fun twist on a class: Tuna and avocado toast.
Using avocado in lieu of mayonnaise boosts the nutritional content of this lunch-time fave without compromising creaminess. Made with a few staple pantry ingredients, this is a midday meal I turn to regularly and hope you will too.
- 1 small can tuna, drained
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1 scallion, sliced
- Sea salt
- 2 slices sourdough bread, toasted
- Handful cherry tomatoes, slcied
- 2 tbsp capers
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Chili flakes
- In a small bowl, combine the tuna, avocado, mustard and scallion. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spread over toasted bread. Top with capers, tomatoes and chili flakes.