Last week, I discussed market motivation and am happy to report that over the weekend, I put it in action. There is no dessert like a warm crisp to appreciate fresh seasonal fruit. Needless to say that I was overjoyed to see the abundance of rhubarb on my last market visit, so I added some fresh local strawberries to the mix and got to work.
Individual strawberry & rhubarb crisps
Servings: 6 Prep time: 15 minutes Cook tim: 40 minutes
For the topping
- 1 1/2 cups of Quick oats
- 3/4 cup of pecans, chopped
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
For the filling
- 4 cups of rhubarb, cut into 3/4″ pieces
- 2 cups of strawberries, cut lengthwise
- 1/4 cup of sugar or honey
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F (190 C).
2. In a medium bowl, combine the oats, pecans, sugar, cinnamon and salt. Add the applesauce and butter, mixing with your hands to incorporate the ingredients evenly.
3. In another bowl, combine the rhubarb, strawberries and sugar. Divide the mixture into 6 8oz ramekins.
4. Add 1/3 cup of topping to each ramekin, covering the fruit completely.
5. Place the ramequins on a sheet pan and bake 40 minutes or until the crisps are nicely golden brown.