Butternut Squash Pasta Bake
Write a review
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large Vidalia onion, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 3 sage leaves
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cubed (5 cups)
- 2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1 box tortiglioni or rigatoni pasta (preferably)
- 1 cup chopped frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 cup ricotta
- 3/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray the inside of a 13-inch baking dish and set aside.
- In a large sauté pan on medium high, heat the olive oil. Add the sage leaves, the onion, the garlic and sauté 5 minutes.
- Add the squash, the broth, the salt and cover. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer, letting the squash cook 15 minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile bring a large pot of salted of water to boil. The water should taste like the sea. Once boiling, cook the pasta 3 minutes less than box directions.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water.
- In a small bowl, combine the ricotta and the spinach. Reserve.
- Remove the sage and using an immersion blender, purée the sauce until smooth. Add the Parmesan and reserved pasta water and stir.
- Drain the pasta and add to sauce. Coat well. Transfer half the pasta to the baking dish. Dollop half the spinach and ricotta mixture. Top with remaining pasta. Dollop the remaining mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs with olive oil. Sprinkle over pasta.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the cover and broil for 5 minutes or until golden.
Motive Nutrition https://motivenutrition.com/