I love a good one-tray meal.
With easy prep and simple clean-up, what’s not to love? Unfortunately, not all recipes adapt to this concept. Luckily for you, today’s recipe for Sheet Pan Fajita Chicken was the perfect candidate. For one, the flavours in this dish are meant to marry, so letting them roast together made perfect sense. Also, by using a hot oven, it’s possible to get a sear similar to the one you would get on the stove, with less fuss.
There are two ways to serve this fajita-style chicken:
- The classic tortilla: Serve in a tortilla wrap (I love Ezekiel or Sprouted Power tortillas) along with your favourite fajita toppings
- The fajita bowl: Layer the chicken mixture over brown rice with a dollop of guacamole, your favourite salsa and a dollop of plain greek yogurt. Perfect for lunches or a quick weeknight dinner.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced into 1/2-inch strips
- 2 teaspoons Mexican chili powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 onions, sliced
- 3 bell peppers, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and set a grill in the middle of the oven. Prepare a large baking tray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, place the chicken strips along with the spices, the salt and olive oil.
- Add the garlic cloves, sliced onion and sliced bell peppers and toss to combine ensuring everything is well coated.
- Spread the mixture across the tray in a single layer.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the chicken is golden and cooked through, tossing once halfway through the cooking process for even browning.
- Serve the chicken with tortillas with your favourite fajita toppings, or build bowls alongside brown rice, avocado and salsa, perfect make-ahead for weekday lunches.