Looking for the next salad to pack in your lunchbox? This chickpea, avocado and egg salad that I’ve been making on repeat.
With hearty chickpeas and protein-packed eggs, this recipe strikes the perfect balance to keep you powering through the afternoon without missing a beat.
The addition of creamy avocado, sweet roasted bell peppers and the tangy vinaigrette will have your tastebuds asking for it again and again. Since it’s the perfect meal-prep candidate, this won’t be a problem. A simple tip though; if you plan on making it in advance, pack your avocado separately and squeeze the flesh into your salad right before eating to avoid any browning.
Keep scrolling for the recipe and be sure to leave a comment once you’ve made it.
- For the dressing:
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 scallion, minced
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- For the salad:
- 4 eggs
- 1 can or jar (398mL) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, sliced
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup roasted bell peppers, diced
- 4 cups chopped lettuce such as Romaine or Frisee
- Place all the ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- Place the eggs in a small saucepan and cover with cold water. Place over high heat, cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, remove from the heat and let sit 12 minutes. Rinse the eggs under cold water, peel and set aside.
- Family-style option: In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients for the salad, including eggs, chickpeas, avocado, tomato, onion, roasted peppers and lettuce. Add the salad dressing, toss and serve.
- Make-ahead lunch option: If preparing this recipe in advance, layer the salad ingredients in a container, with the dressing on the side. When ready to eat, simply drizzle the dressing, toss and enjoy.